Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Weekend 1

I went to a lovely park near the big cemetry/old church 1772 to a weekend fair which stretched a long way around the park. The usual leather goods and an array of other handmade objets d´art were on display. Then I watched the world go by from a park bench under a magnificent Morton Bay fig tree, in front of the old church. Lots of ´trickle down´ things going on. A clown played tango melodies on an accordian, mostly milking parents with children. The aptly placed disabled/disenfranchised preyed on the guilt of poshly dressed folk coming and going to church, some in gorgeous furlined coats. A number of police and guards patrolling everywhere and I´d hazard a guess part of the reason they were in force was to do with restricting the number of loiterers. In this area fancy outdoor coffee places cater to the well healed. Surprise, surprise I found my first public toilet nearby the church. No signs and it was underground but I sensed its purpose as folks trundled in and out. In a state of disrepair.

Later I visited a large shopping mall called Abasto on Corrientes Avenue. I finally went to see the Da Vinci Code film there at Hoyts. Yes Hoyts here too. Enjoyed the drama and story. In English with Spanish sub titles. But in French at times so had to cope without English.I did look at subs so I can tell my teacher I was a good boy.
From what I gathered Jesus had a child with Mary Magdelane and Christianity was supposed to have evolved from Mary´s descendants rather than the Bishop of Rome. The orthodox church has, over the centuries, attempted to exterminate this blasphemy. Did I get it right o ye religious ones out there ? One other related point. On one of my tours my attention was directed to a large complex of buildings where Opus Dei live. Apparently the apartment size you are alloted is based on your wealth. No issue with knowing your place in society.
Abasto has 200 shops. I estimated the food hall had around 500 people eating at once under a high ceiling and had the appearance of a large active penguin colony. I noticed a special Kosher Mc Donalds outlet which obviously caters to the potential 200,000 Jewish customers who live here. Abasto is on a grand scale with special kiddy amusement areas. Grilled beef fillet for NZ$9 from Barititos outlet in the food hall which had a raft of other meat choices. Where else would you see this kind of outlet as commonplace I thought. Fact: Argentina is the second largest consumer of beef in the world after US but has 10% of the population of US.

No comments: