Sunday, June 25, 2006

River Plate Spanish

After all I came here to improve my Spanish so a few comments on Buenos Aires Spanish differences for aficionados.

Spanish is called castellano here and throughout Latin America,not espaƱol.

The key sound difference to normal Spanish is that y & ll are pronounced as zh as in the middle of our word pleasure. So words like yo,llamar,ayer,playa and pollo are pronounced zho,zhamar,azher,plazha and pozho. Even the familiar Maya becomes Mazha as I finally twigged to in a conversation. It takes time to consciously change all these sounds I have found and I usually pronounce a word the normal Spanish way if it´s new to me. I have got used to saying azher for yesterday and zho for I.

Gramatical change. Tu isn´t used anymore and has been replaced by Vos as a singular. The plural you has become Ustedes.

A no. of words have changed meaning. One rude verb to avoid in normal conversation here is cojer. Instead they use tomar un taxi, tomar un cafe etc. Buses are called collectivos. Money is plata.

Other Spanish observations. Sometimes words look familiar but mean something quite different in Spanish. eg. Jubilacion means retirement. Disfrutar means enjoy. Divertir means amuse yourself. Molestar means annoy.

No comments: