I got drenched last night coming home. Lightning and torrential rain came down. I have my rain jacket here with me but didn´t think I needed to pack it on this ocassion so a lesson learned.
The landlady at my residence is the g´granddaughter of a President of Paraguay. They have a family mauseleum in the cemetry (which I visited yesterday). Her parents still have a grand mansion on Uruguay St.
The world famous cemetry has high walls surrounding it and is quite large, maybe 2 acres or more. I found it kind of interesting to gape in beween the bars of the mauseleums to see the tiny internal rooms´ decor. In some of them you can sit down and be in close contact with your deceased ancestors which I think is rather a nice arrangement. The mauseleums belong in the main to the rich and famous of Argentina, such as Eva Peron whose remains finally rested in the Duarte one. I think there was a body going in to the cemetry as an empty stretcher on wheels hovered at the front gate. Apparently it costs around $NZ500,000 to build a mauseleum, that´s if you can get in the front door of course. There´s not much room left as far as I could see.
I visited an upmarket shopping mall called Galerias Pacifica in Florida Street, downtown. The ceiling was painted like the Sistene Chapel and all of the shops were in the Smith & Caughey plus category with the smell of perfume wafting about on every corner.
Widest street in the world
9 of July Avenue (named in honour of liberation day) is very wide and has 22 lanes for traffic, according to my calculations. It´s the one going to the landmark obelisk which is a large chunk of concrete at the city centre on Corrientes Avenue. The city fathers almost pulled it down at one point last century because of its pointlessness and public distain for it.
FRIDAY forecast not so good -colder after 21 C yesterday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment